After the numerous rumours during the middle of the season about the future of Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani, now his agent has confirmed that the striker may stay at the Italian club after all.
San Paolo were set to lose Edinson Cavani in this summer after a number of clubs including Manchester City and Chelsea have shown interest. It is thought that they would be bidding in the region of £ 30 million for the striker. More importantly, the striker will also want to play in the Champions League next season after having experienced the same with Napoli this season.
The striker failed to commit his future to Napoli in recent weeks, but his agent has now confirmed that Edinson Cavani is more likely to be a Napoli player next season because he loves the club and the city very much. Only recently, Edinson Cavani signed a contract extension with Napoli, which will keep him at the club until 2016. Due to the presence of such a long contract, it is highly unlikely that Cavani will be demanding a move in the summer. So far, the striker has scored a very impressive 29 goals this season in all competitions for Napoli.
“I do not want to answer to the question about whether Cavani will stay or go. Edinson answered that Saturday and he was very clear, but everyone can interpret what he said the way they want. For every player it is important to have the team’s future very clear, but financial matters are also important. Napoli have a serious project and any player would like to be part of it. Cavani has a contract and he wants to respect it,” Cavani’s agent Claudio Anellucci told Canale 34 regarding his future plans and his possible stay with Napoli next season.